Local Bay Area news stations are reporting three heavy winter storms waiting to hit our coastline over the course of the next three days. Weather forecasters are expecting heavy winds along the coast and local mountains, as well as high rainfall totals throughout the week’s end. And if you are planning to travel, heavy snowfall is predicted in the Sierra’s into the weekend. Weathering the storm can be a fairly uneventful experience if certain precautions and safety measures are taken. Here are some quick tips from your local Fire Department to help keep you and your family safe and warm through the next few stormy nights.
- At The Beach: Gusty winds and strong stormy conditions can cause high surf conditions. Be cautious if visiting a local beach; stay aware of the surf and never turn your back on the water.
- On the Road: One of the leading causes of death and injury during winter storms is transportation accidents. If you must go out in wet road conditions, be sure to keep more distance than usual between cars, and adjust your speed to the conditions of the roadway. Travel with chains in snowy areas, and always make sure someone is aware of your travel plans.
- At Home: Heavy winds can cause power outages and damage to trees and bushes. Be sure that your family has an emergency preparedness plan as well as a disaster preparedness kit at home and in your car. Check that your kit is well stocked with storm supplies and all food and water is still good.
- Staying Warm: The impending storms are predicted to bring cold weather conditions throughout the Bay Area and the Sierras. Dress warmly in multiple layers of lightweight clothing and keep your head covered.
- Fire Safety: Candles are one of the leading causes of fires in the nation. During a power outage, use flashlights to illuminate your pathway, never use candles. Be sure to stock-up on spare batteries should your flashlight run out of power.
If you are in need of sand bags they are available for residents of Brisbane, Daly City and Pacifica at the following locations:
- Brisbane: Parking lot located behind the Temporary City Hall Building, 140 Valley Drive.
- Daly City: Daly City Corp Yard (Monday-Friday, 7am-3:30pm), 792 Niantic Avenue.
- Pacifica: Fire Station 72, 1100 Linda Mar Blvd.; Pacifica Corp Yard (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm), 155 Milagra Drive.
Throughout a storm, always stay informed by tuning into your local radio and television news stations for updated information of weather and road conditions. For more information, please contact Fire Administration at (650) 991-8138. Stay safe, and stay warm.